Bella Online’s Senior Living Editor
Fall Prevention Safety Tips
Guest Author – Alice Andersen
There is a wealth of information and statistics on the internet about Fall Prevention Safety Tips. How harmful a simple thing like a fall can be to an aging adult. But a colorful brochure or chart doesn’t replace the experience of having a loved one fall in their own home in what should be a safe environment. Take a closer look at those brochures and really pay attention.
Major Fall Prevention Home Safety Tips
– Place sturdy handrails on all steps.
– Inspect outdoor stairs and pathways for broken spots or holes. Have them repaired.
– Install grip rails in the shower and beside the toilet. Use rubber mats or strips in the tub.
– Use night lights to light a path to the bathroom. Turn on bright lights when walking down the hall or on stairways.
– Place flashlights next to the bed and near the telephone.
– Place the address in an easy to read size near the phone so calls to 911 are easier with no mix-ups to the location.
Think about the home and the environment on a regular basis to keep it safe. But don’t allow a fear of falling to keep anyone from doing activities that will keep them moving. Exercise and movement strengthen the body and add to the quality of life as people age. Find out more and become an advocate for fall prevention and safety in your neighborhood. You could make a real difference in someone’s life.
You must be logged in to post a comment.